Rollin' With My Babies!

Rollin' With My Babies!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One, two, three...

One, two, three.
One, two, three.

I used to glide across the dance floor chanting these numbers through my head.

One, two, three...

They used to signify corresponding fluid body movements, seamless...yet tying into the theme of musicality. Simple. Beautiful. There is a clear method behind the little steps.

One, two, three....

Now it's what's consantly going through my head as I walk through Target as I keep constant track of my children.

"Gracie! Please don't pull those Princess hairties off of the shelf! Stay by the cart!"
"Sissy! Please turn around! Put your booty down!"
Will just, well, sleeps. He occasionally wakes up, only to have his little eyes dart around in the unfamiliarity of where he is at the moment, only to settle back on me and then slowly drift off again.

One, two, three....

I wonder sometimes how life has gone from what seemed to be a smooth waltz to a sometimes spaztic "Ellen" from Seinfeld dance. There are days when the family are able to move through with synchronicity; and there are days when it takes every morsel of energy Brent and I have to get through the end of our day. Most days have moments where I question the motions of parenthood, suddenly realizing my ackwardness, only to correct my form in order to keep from falling down.

I just hope that, to Brent and my kids, they understand that you only learn to dance through learning how to master the little steps along the way.

One, two, three...

As we headed out of Target today, I looked under Will's infant carrier, only to realize that the brake fluid I had wanted to get for our minivan had gotten stuck, and I had not paid for it. I picked it up, and showed it to Grace.

"Mommy, what's that?"
"It's brake fluid, honey. Mommy didn't see it, and we forgot to pay for it."
"Oh, okay, well, let's go pay for it, Mommy."

I smile, proud that Gracie IS learning the steps to becoming a responsible little person. Clearly, Brent and I have taught her something right!

We head back to the cash register, Dani climbing, Will sleeping, and Grace grabbing things along the way...

One, two, three...

No comments:

Post a Comment