Rollin' With My Babies!

Rollin' With My Babies!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Well-Toddler Check!

Yesterday, I carted the kids to the base for Danielle's two-year well-baby (toddler) check. The appointment was at 8 a.m., so I made sure to get the kids "up and at 'em" extra early so that we could be there 15 minutes early, just as the military asks.

Despite my best efforts, I was there at 7:55. Still early; but hey.

I had Dani and Will in the stroller, with Gracie walking alongside. Luckily, the Med Group tech took us right in (no waiting! Whoo hoo!), and checked Dani's height, weight, and head circumference. Between juggling helping Dani obey the requests of the tech, holding Will, and making sure that Gracie was not getting into anything she was not supposed to, all I remember is that Dani weighs 28.2 pounds.

The appointment went well overall. The girls were well-behaved, Dani is very healthy, and the baby was content drinking his bottle while I both asked and answered questions. We still have to work on Dani's eczema; however, that will be a battle we will continue to fight for awhile.

Were we done? Nope! We still had to get shots! Dani did, at least. Before we left the room, I squatted down to Dani's level, looked her in the eyes, and said "Are you ready for your shots? Remember we talked about those? You will get a little poke and then we will be ALL DONE!"

"Yes, Ma-ma." Dani nodded her head, curls bouncing.

"Oh, and after you get her shots, she will need to have bloodwork done."

Crap.

"Um, if she doesn't like her shots, is it okay if we come back tomorrow with my husband so that he can help me with the kids?"

"Yes, you can do that. Or you can come back next week. No rush- it's just routine."

My mind raced for a moment. I decided to just take it in stride- if Dani tolerates her shots well, then I will just get the bloodwork done and over with. No use in coming back with the three kids next week, or bothering Brent at work tomorrow.

As we headed into the immunization clinic, I was praying. Hard. Shots are not normally a big deal, but I've never done it with all three. We checked in, and a nice airman asked me to sit with Dani on a cold-looking bench.

"Gracie, you stand right there....no, there! Gracie, puuuhhhhlleeze listen to Mommy?!"

She stands. Okay. Breathe.

I hold Danielle, and brace for impact. My poor baby!

"Okay, all done."

Dani wasn't crying. In fact, she barely flinched. As the airman put the band-aid on, all Dani said was "Ouch, Ma-Ma!"

My kid is a shot genius!!

The airman, who was clearly happy that he didn't have a screamer on his hands, offered Dani a lollipop from a basket. She took one- of course, tangerine (she's allergic to citrus). I put it back and she grabbed another- strawberry shortcake. Perfect. I'm a happy "ma-ma."

Just then, I heard a blood-curdling SCCCRREEEAAAMMM!! From GRACE!

Crap!

"I WANT A LOLLIPOP!"

"No, Gracie, this was for Dani- she just got a shot and deserves a treat." (In the interest of full disclosure, I am trying to teach the girls that they have to earn treats, and not just get them because they exist.)

"I. want. a. LOLLIPOP!"

Let's go. Fast. I whisked Dani up, grabbed the stroller, and tried to maneuver it out of the immunization office as quickly as I could. We get out of the office, and Grace was still crying. I crouch down to talk to her, and over my shoulder I hear "Oh, sweetie, it's okay."

I look over, and it's a nice man in uniform. Military, but a uniform.

"I understand- I have four kids of my own. It's not fun to get shots, is it?" He has an eagle on his shoulder bars.

"I WANT A LOLLIPOP!"

Everyone was looking at us now.

"She will feel better once she gets home and gets some Tylenol." He smiles sympathetically at me as I try to calm down Will, who is fussing as a response to Grace.

"Oh, she didn't get the shots- this one did." I point down to Danielle.

Dani smiled up at him, her sparkling eyes peering between her curls.

***

For the record, the rest of the trip went okay. Dani did get her blood drawn- no cries AGAIN! She even watched the whole time! Either Dani has an extremely high tolerance for pain, or she is a doctor in the making. ;)

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't get any easier, Paige threw a fit on Friday because Austin got a Snickers treat for his shots and she didn't get one! At least when you got there they were open, when I showed up at 7:45 for the kids 8:00 appts the doors were locked!! I had to call the appt line to confirm that I did in fact have an appt and they had to call the front desk and tell them to unlock the doors and let their patients in!! Only in the military :-)

    ReplyDelete