Rollin' With My Babies!

Rollin' With My Babies!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Thank YOU, Jillian Michaels!

(Thanks to my dear friend, Missy, for reminding me to blog about this!)

Last week, as I was up feeding Will at 3 a.m., I was watching the news and catching up on the most recent celeb gossip. I heard a teaser that went something like "Jillian Michaels offends moms...hear what she said after the break!"

When the commercial break was over, the offending quote was revealed. As she was being interviewed for Women's Health magazine (which, in the interest of full disclosure..and as a proud big sister, my sister is featured in this month in the "You Lose, You Win" article), Jillian Michaels was asked if she would ever consider having biologial children. She responded with : "I can't handle doing that to my body."

My thoughts, and emotions, instantly raced. At first, I was angered and offended. Jillian's implying that having babies ruins bodies made me want to boycott her shows and products. I thought that moms who worked hard for their babies, and post-baby bodies, should unite in order to prove to her that her comment made her, in fact, a BIG loser. Ha...that'll show her.

Then, after about a minute, I started to feel bad for Jillian Michaels.

I would be lying if I said that Jillian Michaels wasn't one of my inspirations for becoming a fitness instructor. She's fun to watch as she whips people into shape on The Biggest Loser through her somehow finding a balance between a drill sargeant and a counselor. I know that she's worked her way to health through finding fitness, and I appreciate her doing that. Jillian also has a physique to work toward. If she could do it, then so can I. Perhaps that's why she's as popular as she is- she's relatable.

But, in rationalizing her comment, one has to remember that her body IS her livelihood- figuratively, literally, AND financially. If she started to gain weight, etc., then she will have many people to answer to. If I gain 5 pounds, I have myself to answer to. If she gains 5 lbs., her career is threatened. Not fun.

One thing that I have, and Jillian Michaels never will, is a body that has carried, grown, delivered and cared for three children. The more I thought about it, Jillian will never know what it's like to discover that she's pregnant. She will (most likely) never feel the thrill of the first flutter kick in her belly, nor will she be able to guess what body part swooshes across her midsection as she relaxes on the couch with her husband. Jillian won't know what it's really like to go into labor and then deliver a miracle, nor will she look into the eyes of a life created out of love and feel the love for her new child that is all-consuming.

In other words, having children didn't ruin my body- it MADE my body. It made me who I am today.

I often refer to my stretch marks as tiny badges of courage. My wider hips help to keep me looking womanly. My body continues to nourish my newborn, and it helps to set an example for my little girls as they see me working out at Stroller Strides or running with all three of them strapped into the jogger stroller. Yes, I may have some extra fat that I want to get rid of. But, mark my words, I am WAY more proud of my body now than I ever was when I didn't have to work for it as a teenager or in my early-20's. It now has a power that it didn't utilize before...it makes LITTLE PEOPLE!

I am NOT knocking Jillian's decision to want to adopt someday. I think that's great. One day, I hope that she will be able to know what it's like to raise a child, as there are plenty of babies and children out there who deserve to be loved. In all honestly and likelihood, she will be able to both care for the child herself, and she will have enough people working for and with her in order to somehow balance her professional and personal life.

And maybe it's good that she doesn't try to bear her own child; after all, if she's that concerned about her body, she may resent the baby for changing her physique. Who would want to start off life like that?!

Anyways, thank YOU, Jillian, for helping to remind me about how proud I am of my body. Thank you for inspiring me to become a fitness instructor for moms who want to get in shape post-baby (myself included!). Thank you for driving me to push both my Stroller Strides moms and myself just a little further every time we work out because now I want to prove that you CAN get your body back after bearing children. In one comment, you helped to both feel the frustration of stereotypes (having a baby ruins you), and the joy of knowing how to overcome them.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so what about context? I don't think we are having anymore children because I can't do "that to my body again either." Why? Because I have health problems that preclude me from going off the medications that would allow me to safely carry a child. The risk is too great. It took my body months to recover. Not the weight, not the marks, not all that. My b-o-d-y system. I'm sure that's not what she means, but EVERYTHING changes when you have a baby, wonder if she means down to the last fingernail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that, too, during my turmoil of thoughts following "the statement." Brent even mentioned that maybe she has health issues that we don't know about, or maybe she physically can't have kids...who knows. For me, what initially upset me was the tone. It felt like a selfish statement upon first glimpse, which is probably why she had the backlash effect. It may have been taken out of context in the magazine to entice readers, so I will be looking forward to reading the article in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog post- such a good reminder. yay Stroller Strides! :)

    ReplyDelete